Sunday, September 5, 2010

A Huge Omelette

A few weeks back, I stumbled upon a rack full of ostrich egss in the dairy section of Rustan's Supermarket at the Powerplant Mall. I checked the price and was shocked to learn that a piece of ostrich egg costs Php 685.00!
I didn't know ostrich egss are edible...

So...what do you do with an ostrich egg... what does it taste like...and how do you cook it?

Just out of curiosity, I googled it up, and here's what I've learned:
- Ostrich eggs weigh approximately 3 lbs., equivalent to 18-24 chicken eggs. The eggs taste like chicken eggs.
- Compared to chicken eggs, ostrich eggs have increased portions of polyunsaturated fatty acids, which are most desirable in our diet.
- Ostrich eggs whip up smoother and fluffier than chicken eggs.

The Indian Point Ranch site suggested:
- Ostrich eggs may be boiled whole
- Ostrich eggs may be scrambled

O-kaaay...

Obviously, I haven't tried it. Gee, I wouldn't spend 700 bucks on a giant egg. But I would try it, for free! :)

Ostrich eggs... Just one of the weird yet fascinating things I find in the supermarket. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment