They also have the pigeon/pidgin language. It was originally created so that immigrants, and people from Japan, the Philippines, China and Portugal, and Mainland USA and Hawaii can easily understand one another.
Nonetheless, here are some of the Hawaiian terms we learned during our trip:
- Aloha - hello / goodbye
- Mahalo - thank you
- Mele Kalikimaka - Merry Christmas
- Wahine - female
- Kane - male
- Pau - finish
- Luau - Hawaiian feast or party
- Ono - delicious
- Hau'oli Makahiki Hou - Happy New Year
- Huli huli - Hawaii's version of chicken inasal
- Cousin - they call everyone "cousin." It's like our Filipino version of dude, pare, sisters, friend.
Till my next post. Aloha cousins!