Filipinos (including me) joined the craze in tweeting sentimental childhood memories using the hashtag #SentiSabado. At first, I was planning on tweeting just a couple of random childhood memories, but to my surprise, I lost track of how many I've tweeted.
My brothers and I grew up in one of the villages south of the metro. Our childhood experience was just like any kid who grew up in the 80s and 90s. Some of the fond memories I have of our childhood were mostly of my schooling, the pop culture back then, and the games we absolutely enjoy playing. :) I've managed to list my top 10 memorable 80s and 90s experience (in no particular order):
1. Playing Tetris, Arkanoid and Super Mario Bros. on Nintendo's Family Computer. My brothers and cousins beat me in Super Mario Bros., but nobody can beat me in Tetris.
|Super Mario Bros.|
3. I got my first stolen kiss in kindergarten, from a little boy I hardly even noticed in class. It was one sunny afternoon, while waiting for class to start, the little boy (with his yaya) came rushing towards me, handed me a bouquet of santan flowers (picked from their garden), and kissed me on my right cheek. Oh boy, was I flustered.
|Hopscotch (Piko in Filipino)|
|Sweet Valley Twins by Francine Pascal|
|Punky Brewster (1984)|
|Beverly Hills 90210|
8. One of my godparents would always give me Barbie Dolls for my birthday and for Christmas. I had a wide collection of Barbie Dolls and playsets, but regret not taking good care of them. When spiked bangs were in fashion, I got hold one of my Barbie Dolls and tried to cut a portion of her hair so she could have spiked bangs like mine. Operation failed! She ended up with porcupine bangs. :)
9. Remember Cheezums and Chikadees, and the toy that came in every snack pack? I remember saving a portion of my lunch money to buy Chikadees before heading home.
10. My mom's home-baked macaroons! She would baked macaroons for us almost every week. They were so delicious. :)
These are just some of the many childhood memories I have. :)
It's a long weekend, and a happy one too, since we'll also be spending our first wedding anniversary.
Have a great long weekend everyone! :)